Thursday, May 8, 2014

Leave a Message For Mom

Need an idea to show some love for your mom?  How about sharing a favorite memory with her?
This was a post from Mother's Day last year, but I think it's worth revisiting.

Si, over at French By Design wrote an article about a wonderful Danish home that included this chalkboard wall where guests could write comments and notes to the family.  What a cool idea!

This got me thinking about our chalkboard center located in the laundry room.  Originally I had intended on it being used as a message center (my husband is famous for leaving me notes on the kitchen counter).  We have never used it for that purpose - right now we have our latest Scrabble scores and some cryptic drawings left by our granddaughters.

So I cleaned it off and it is ready for Mother's Day messages.

During our Mom's Day dinner the kids wrote their favorite memory of an activity we did together.  It couldn't have been more special! Truthfully, I was surprised at what they wrote. As mom's we do things for and with our kids on a daily basis, often without knowing the impact it will have on them. Each of these comments brought back fond memories of special times spent with them. 


The best Mother's Day present ever!  I think I'll be leaving these on the board for awhile...maybe they will add to it?

If you don't have a chalkboard, no worries, you could always use notecards at their dinner places.  This is a Thanksgiving place setting using craft paper placemats, but you could easily change it to a Mother's Day theme.


This one gets my vote...we all have those smooth decorative rocks, why not write a special message for Mom using a sharpie - she can use them all year long!  
source
I bet you can come up with more creative ideas to document your kids' memories and grateful thoughts.
I don't know about you, but I just need my kids around me on Mother's Day - no presents needed.  The heartfelt thoughts and memories are just a bonus! 


8 comments:

  1. I like this idea the most! We are big message writers so it fits us better than flowers. I am admiring your chalked banner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sue - My daughter is so much better at signage - she does all of the signs at her coffee house - and should have created the banner for me, but I gave it the good old college try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You decorated your chalkboard so nicely! I'm sure it was fun to see what the kids favorite memory was. This year, according to my five year old, I am 80 years old! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Out of the mouths of babes -isn't it amazing to learn their perceptions? I remember when I was in high school I thought anyone over 25 was ancient! Happy Mother's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ARod@MakinMyAptaHomeMay 18, 2014 at 9:59 PM

    such cute idea's thanks so much for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you - thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  7. DomesticLifeStylist®May 29, 2014 at 10:50 AM

    Nice ideas Cyndi. I love the idea of having a chalk board wall to write messages. Right now we have a portable board for the kids but I think that this works so much better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks - I wish it were a more convenient because we hardly use it unless the kids come over. The grandkids often write little notes or draw on them, but occasionally I'll find a surprise note from one of my adult children - it always puts a smile on my face!

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips