Friday, December 20, 2013

Wrap It Up - A Couple Of Time Saving Ideas


Are you finished wrapping your gifts?  Except for a few miscellaneous late deliveries from UPS I'm done. I just finished this afternoon.  So while I had wrapping fresh in my mind I wanted to pass along a couple of tips I've learned over the years, and work well for my family.

 Although I love wrapping presents and in a perfect world they would look similar to the ones below, alas the practical me opts to use up paper and ribbon from previous years (more on this later).  Do you do this too, or am I the only one?


I do however, code my gifts by wrapping paper.  I started this years ago when the twins were too young to read their names.  I wrap each person's gifts with a different paper - I make sure to cut off a small tag size portion of the wrapping paper and write the individual name on it to jog my memory and make a 'code' for everyone on Christmas morning. This makes the gifts easily identifiable - the kids big and small love to scout out their packages under the tree - and this method makes it so easy.


 I wish I could stick to this color scheme - it coordinates well with my tree decor...

But as I said earlier, I don't like to waste resources, and although I would love to wrap my gifts each year with a new theme or color palette in Martha Stewart fashion, it just isn't practical.  It takes me a couple of years to deplete my stash of gift wrap. Even then I end up with a lot of random rolls of paper and ribbon...so every so often we have a miscellaneous year where I use up the leftover rolls fitting the available paper to the size of the gifts - on these years, everyone gets name tags.

This year I was able to get everyone's gifts wrapped in their own special paper, but as you can see they aren't very color coordinated.  I wrap them all first as you can see here, and then I add the bows in mass - it seems to save me a lot of time.




The twins are getting a couple of gifts together - so I wrapped each box with their individual paper, stacked them and tied them together with one ribbon. 
 I just love the wired ribbon…this is another thing I reuse.  After the dust settles on Christmas morning we gather the ribbon roll it up and reuse it the next year.  Since many of the boxes are similar size, it is fairly easy to find a length of ribbon that will fit.  

Here are the gifts completed and scattered around the tree. 


Note, I think next year will be a miscellaneous year, and then I can start anew.  Plain paper and personalized ribbon may be lurking on the horizon - who knows.

I hope this has given you some food for thought if you are still wrapping, or perhaps you can stash the ideas away for the future.  Whatever the case…have a great weekend, I'm sure for many of you it's the start of your holiday.

Cheers…

Cyndi

4 comments:

  1. I love your color coding idea. I could just imagine your Christmas mornings with twins. Must have wonderful memories! I do what you do and gather the left-over ribbon for re-use. And, I always have left-over paper, too. This was the first year I put the gifts under the tree BEFORE Christmas as my daughter is 13 now and picked out most of hers. It allowed me to be creative & have fun with most/not all of the gift wrapping.
    Happy you shared this!
    Have a Merry Christmas, Cyndi.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dana - The twins are a lot of fun, but now that they are 10 (Monday) they definitely have different personalities, likes and dislikes - it makes it challenging to keep everything 'even.' Merry Christmas to you and your family.

      Delete
  2. Great job wrapping, they all look great - I bought a couple of items that the store wrapped for me so I have a few things, but nothing major...Merry Christmas!! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I've ever had the store wrap any of my gifts - what a luxury - although I love to wrap so it would take a lot of the fun out of it for me. Have a great Christmas Sarah!

      Delete

Blogging tips