Wednesday, December 18, 2013

A Holiday Welcome - Front Entry Thoughts

The front porch sets the stage for the rest of your home, and especially during the holidays, it's more important than ever. This year I found myself being drawn to the homespun entrances.  The ones that remind me of a simple an old fashioned Christmas.

Martha Stewart's simple doorway - just a wreath and garland welcomes guests to her retreat in Maine. 

Take a look at what I found on the HGTV website! Three caught my eye.
Rustic wooden doors, baskets, comfy porch rocker complete with pillows… what's not to love?



A chic grey porch punched with red accents…ideas for next year? 

 A little more embellishment...


This year I decided to pare down the decorations.  My tree is more narrow and I put out fewer decorations.  I don't know what it was, maybe it's the shortened time between Thanksgiving and Christmas, or that the kids are grown and not here to enjoy the decorations.  But whatever the excuse, I decided to go minimalist.


Here's our front porch. As you can see, I still need to replace my lens…Hint, hint Santa.

Sparkling branches mixed with gold grasses pinecones and an owl to keep a watchful eye.  

Remember I wrote about jingle bell wreaths - here is my version.  It's been with me for years and I've used it in many settings, from doorknobs to vignettes around the house.  Lately it's found a home on the sled that I picked up at a garage sale years ago.


The sign is a nod to our family's love for the slopes.

Often I hang a more complicated or colorful wreath at the door, but this year I opted for this simple metal wreath that I picked up years ago at Pier 1.  I can light battery tea lights when we are entertaining.



Repeating colors, textures and theme from our indoor holiday decoration, our porch welcomes visitors with a simple vignette.

I found this more elaborate version here. I wish I still had my ice skates.  Those lanterns are hung by a rope garland. Notice the bucket of 'snow'?

 There's only a short week until the big day - I'm off to finish my shopping then wrapping (I haven't done any).  Thanks for stopping by.

Cyndi

4 comments:

  1. I want your front doors! Beautiful, and the light, too! You can certainly tell who the designer is! I Believe it or not, I like the minimalist look, too. I just put up a fresh wreath and fresh small tree in the large flower pot on my front porch this year. I like your branches, too. Hope Santa brings you your lens!
    Dana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dana. Santa has it under the tree! Merry Christmas to you!

      Delete
  2. It looks very pretty and I like the minimalist idea...sometimes decor can definitely be hideously overdone. Merry Christmas to you and your family! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah, I hope you have a great Christmas as well.

      Delete

Blogging tips