Well, this was quite an ordeal! It all started with my great $5 find at The Cup and Saucer, my friend's darling shop, filled with antique dishes, tableware and other unique finds. Some of you might remember me writing about it here.
I had it in this red bag - then shortly after this picture was taken, the bottom fell out! Thankfully all of my purchases were protected in bubble wrap and all survived except for...
this tulip bud vase. It fell into four good sized pieces, so I decided to try to repair it.
Here it is after I fused part of the stem back together. The top was relatively heavy in comparison to the delicate stem, and proved quite a challenge.
I used painter's tape to hold the stem in place while the glue dried. I also twisted
copper wire around it, as you see here, for more reinforcement.
It took me a few tries with several different types of adhesives. I tried three different products claiming to glue china, glass and other items - two failed - they remained rubbery (like rubber cement), and the top fell off as soon as I removed the tape & wire. I finally used super glue - I don't know why I didn't opt for that in the first place - and voila...
The stem finally set into place.
As you can see in the shot above, the repair was pretty obvious, so I decided to artistically wrap copper wire to disguise the mend as well as to embellish the piece. I think it worked pretty well.
Here it is in its temporary home on our counter right behind my panther friend that I purchased last week.
I'm pretty happy with the result. We had a group of friends over for the Super Bowl yesterday and they were amazed at the finished product - many thought that the copper was part of the original vase design!