Monday, January 28, 2013

Chunky Crochet Baskets

Recently I was inspired to participate in "Saturday Crafternoons" by a fellow blogger Laura  here on her blog Lolalina.  I have been doing my fair share of projects lately so I thought this would be a fun way to keep my creativity going!  

I've been ogling those chunky knitted & crocheted items I've been seeing everywhere. So, my latest project began when I happened upon some Pinterest finds.  Here is what I've been working on.  


Yes, those chunky crocheted baskets.  They were simple and finished in a couple of evenings while I was watching movies.  I can't stand to just sit and stare at the TV, I have to be doing something.

 The lighter basket is round and holds yarn for my next project nicely.


The darker basket is oblong and and it was my second attempt at this pattern. I also wanted to experiment with a different shape, and as you can see, the round basket seems to slump a bit. I rightly thought that the more narrow base would support the sides a bit better. I also tweaked the pattern a bit to make it a bit more sturdy. I'm pleased with the result. It seems to fit my new issues of magazines nicely don't you think?

I used Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick & Quick yarn. I love the grey and chocolate strands that randomly appear in the "oatmeal" color-way.  But the "barley' contrasts so well with my carpet, that I'm quickly becoming partial to it - the oatmeal basket may soon be relegated to the spare room!

Here is the link to the pattern I followed.  Next time I will be using a bit more substantial yarn for a more firm basket. 

So tell me, what projects have you been working on?

Happy Monday!  

Cyndi

3 comments:

  1. I love these! So cozy and I could see using them for lots of things around the house...thank you so much for sharing! xo Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Laura - they were a snap to make.

    ReplyDelete
  3. None! I'm not as crafty as you Cyndi, but these are gorgeous!! I want one!! Love them both! ;-))

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips